Do you currently have a retirement plan that you wish to diversify at some point? Many investment leaders caution that there are nefarious scams and less than honest investment companies looking for an easy mark. As this country and others around the globe deal with instability in the economy and financial markets, it is prudent to thoroughly research money investment companies to help prevent getting ripped off.
Investing in gold makes sense from a practical standpoint. Read on to discover our top 10 picks along with insider details on each one.
Please note that our curated list of reliable gold IRA companies is also applicable for individuals looking to invest in gold outside of a retirement plan.
Table of contents
- 1 #1. Augusta Precious Metals
- 2 #2. Birch Gold Group
- 3 #3. Noble Gold
- 4 #4. Goldco
- 5 #5. American Hartford Gold
- 6 #6. Patriot Gold Group
- 7 #7. Oxford Gold Group
- 8 #8. Advantage Gold
- 9 #9. Orion Metal Exchange
- 10 #10. Regal Assets
- 11 Conclusion
- 12 FAQS about gold IRAs
- 12.1 Why are so many financial providers leaning towards gold and other precious metal IRA company services today?
- 12.2 Why are buy-back programs important when deciding on a gold IRA company?
- 12.3 What is the main difference between a traditional IRA and today's gold IRA options?
- 12.4 Can I use any gold or silver coins in an IRA investment plan?
- 13 The evolution of Gold Production for the years to come
- 14 Top Gold Producing Countries
- 15 Emerging Gold Producers
- 16 Will gold continue to retain its value in the future? A question you should ask yourself before opening a gold IRA.
- 17 Assessing the Future Viability of Gold as an Investment
- 18 Challenges Facing Gold as an Investment
- 19 The benefits of adding gold to a retirement account to conclude
#1. Augusta Precious Metals
Augusta Precious Metals is another fabulous gold and more IRA company that should be seriously considered by those who are thinking of diversifying their retirement with precious metals. This premier company offers a friendly and experienced team of precious metal experts ready to walk through the easy process with each unique and valued client.
Augusta Precious Metals provides clients with several opportunities in both gold and silver investment plans. These highly trained and dedicated precious metal specialists take care of about 95 percent of the initial paperwork with you. The team will also be able to expand your own knowledge of gold, silver and other retirement investments to give clients the peace-of-mind that they deserve after working hard for their savings.
- The company has thousands of 5-star reviews
- Won Best of TrustLink award
- Honest and transparent business transactions
- Streamlined and easy investment process
- Client access to educational resources that empowers investors
- Old-fashioned and personalized customer service record
- No pushy sales investment tactics
- Full services never end for the lifetime of the plan
- Requires a higher minimum initial investment amount
#2. Birch Gold Group
In today's fickle and often complex marketplace, it can be difficult to properly ensure that your retirement savings plans will be what you need and expect when the time comes to use it. This is why many individuals decide to diversify their retirement savings plans.
Birch Gold Group is a trusted and respected leader in handling retirement savings by topnotch investments in gold or other precious metals rather than rely only on paper bonds and stocks that can fluctuate widely and unexpectedly on the market.
This company has a long history of outstanding customer service, and this full-service company also prides itself on making it a commitment to educate their clients on the best methods to invest their money or roll over their IRA retirement plans.
Since Birch Gold Group only requires an initial minimum investment of $10,000, this company is attractive to many individuals who have a more modest income and/or lower retirement savings in general.
- A+ BBB reviews
- Trusted leader in gold IRA
- Outstanding customer service reputation
- Transparent business transaction
- All-in-one service and stellar client education resources
- Low costs and fees
- A few fees for initial setup are not clearly displayed
- No overseas based depository options
#3. Noble Gold
This top gold dealer offers a wide range of full services. They do specialize in gold IRAs, but the company also deals with a large assortment of collectable and rare US coins along with the expected gold and silver bars and coins. Nobel Gold also is a credible dealer of palladium that is already IRA sanctioned for peace-of-mind.
One of the best services that Noble Gold offers their clients is an assortment of survival packs that are already prearranged. These investment packs are not a retirement plan, as they are set up to be available as emergency funds during a financial crisis. These royal packs are also known as survivalist funds.
- Provides survival packs that can be shipped to your home
- Customized service to meet each client's exact financial and investment needs
- Honest business transactions and transparency regarding IRA related fees
- Low pressure sales tactics
- Knowledgeable and friendly team representatives
- Specializes in gold IRAs
- Competitive annual fees
- Fast sign-up service and buy back guaranteed option
- Storage for gold or other precious metals within the U.S. might be higher than storage rates elsewhere
- Pricing, fees and other expenses related to coins can be difficult to find online
Goldco has come out on top due to the company's excellent customer service along with its great prices for topnotch retirement IRA options. Many individuals concerned about safeguarding their current retirement plans and savings have turned to direct purchases of gold or silver, while others prefer to rely on precious metals for IRA choices from this stellar and highly rated gold IRA company.
Clients appreciate how simple it is to roll over IRA and 401k plans with this outstanding gold IRA company. In addition, clients can take full advantage of the knowledge and experience of gold IRA specialists who are always willing to share their recommendations and expertise.
- Consistent high rankings by consumers, investors and other groups
- A+ rating by BBB & Triple A rating by Business Consumer Alliance
- Ease of use across the board
- Fantastic prices for award-winning services
- Added incentives for qualified accounts
- Free Gold IRA Kit and free shipping
- Has the highest price Buy Back Guarantee
- Client access to a wealth of retirement resources
- Remains an industry leader
- Limited access to your funds as per all IRAs
- IRA Gold cannot be stored safely at home per IRS regulations
- Requires a higher minimum deposit initially
#5. American Hartford Gold
Have you found yourself scratching your head when trying to decide how to increase your current retirement investment portfolio? Look no further than American Hartford Gold. This team of gold IRA experts will walk you through the easy start up steps, and the team is a wealth of information for both experienced and newer investors.
Gold and silver may be used in the event of bank collapse or dramatic decrease of the dollar occurs. These metals are considered intrinsic in value, and many clients invest in these metals as an insurance of sorts in case of widespread economic collapse like a survivalist fund.
American Hartford Gold does not charge for IRA rollovers or to set up a new precious metals IRA.
- Provides IRA eligible bars and coins
- Family owned and operated company
- Puts customer service first
- Has secure storage options available
- The company provides excellent delivery choices
- Low initial investment amount of $10k for IRA related purchases
- Includes a dedicated buy back option if needing to sell
- Easy to use format
- A+ BBB rating and high customer reviews
- Great selection of both god and silver bullion
- Continued lack of pricing on their websites for easier client comparison
- Does not ship outside of the United States
- The company's non-segregated storage options tend to be pricier
- No current online store
#6. Patriot Gold Group
Patriot Gold Group has several excellent business contacts and has been in this business for over 30 successful years with mostly high customer reviews. The company specializes in precious metals, offers several investment purchase options and includes precious metals products that are IRA/IRS approved for retirement and other investment plans.
This company is fantastic for those desiring to add precious metals, like silver and gold, to an existing or new IRA retirement account. Most investment experts caution against putting all your eggs into one basket and including some gold or silver IRA approved investments can be a terrific choice. It should be noted that if a client wishes to purchase gold or silver coins for a collection, that client will need to find their own storage options.
- Wider variety of precious metal products like gold, silver, palladium and platinum
- Top rated gold IRA company that provides stellar client educational resources
- Free set ups if investment amount is over $30,000, otherwise, fee is about $225
- Minimum initial investment amount is $15,000
- Provides investor direct pricing
- High customer/client reviews when provided
- Provides multiple storage choices
- Expect a 24-to-48-hour new IRA account turnaround in most cases
- Does not always provide client reviews for comparison
- This company is not U.S. Mint listed
- Requires a phone call or self-fill form to get further information
#7. Oxford Gold Group
The Oxford Gold Group was first founded in the year 2017, and this team has members boasting 20 years or more in this business. This includes precious metals, silver and gold. The company also offers premium storage solutions at several locations.
This business venture began in Las Angeles, CA. Their main mission is to provide consumers wanting to invest in precious metals a low-cost method to do this. The group includes a product range of different precious metals, and some are already approved for IRA types of investments using metals.
The company's provided storage varies in cost depending on the amount and worth of the investment. This can range from about $175 to $225 each year. There are fee reduction incentives for larger investment amounts, and this company takes care of one to five years in storage fees. Certain qualified clients may also receive up to $2,500 by way of rebates.
- Company is dedicated to keeping client fees affordable
- There are minimum transaction amounts at $1,500 for direct purchase and $7,500 for each IRA transaction
- No shipping fees
- A+ BBB ratings and high customer reviews on a smaller select review group
- Company will buy your gold too
- Top quality products and services at reasonable rates
- Two different depository options
- Price of gold may drop rapidly and unexpectedly
- No interest or dividends are earned for gold
- Lower number of IRA custodians than some other companies
#8. Advantage Gold
Advantage Gold is best known for its U.S. Mint approved gold and silver coin products. This is an easier process for investing in precious metals, and this is because foreign company sources for the same tend to fluctuate rapidly in many other countries. Foreign countries also have differing money sources too.
It should be noted that Advantage Gold is one of the few companies that have specialized in only precious metal markets. They have only been operating since 2014, but this company has reached the top ten in many reviews. Clients like that Advantage Gold clearly lists their fees which lean on the lower side as an added perk.
- Hight reviews on TrustLink and TrustPilot
- Large selection of top-quality gold, silver and a few other precious metal products
- Faster and more streamlined delivery process
- Company offers buyback services
- Client may opt for home storage and direct delivery which is swift
- This company makes it simple to liquidate retirement account investments
- U.S. Mint approved products
- Ingenious educational resource material and knowledgeable staff
- Company only offers a few foreign coins
- This is a relatively newcomer in precious metal and IRA gold market
- No online purchase option
- Some complain of low buyback offers
- Clients have reported some pushy sales tactics and less than transparent commission rates
#9. Orion Metal Exchange
Most Americans contribute to retirement IRAs that are often set up by an employer. These types of retirement accounts do not allow the purchase of physical metals to add to the account. However, there are some gold and precious metal IRA companies that meet the strict guidelines on investing with precious metals that are to be stored by a secure third party. Orion Metal Exchange meets that definition.
- The company has 50 years of successful experience
- Provides physical possession gold or other precious metal coins for purchase online
- Dedicated buyback program with no added fees
- Offers updated spot pricing details
- Knowledgeable and friendly team members
- Range of depository facilities
- Fast home delivery service
- Company does not list online pricing
- This business charges fees annually for secured storage
#10. Regal Assets
Important update: there are many on-going legal actions against Regal Assets, we strongly suggest you avoid dealing with this company.
Since 2009, Regal Assets has been faithfully serving their loyal clients in helping them diversify their retirement assets to best meet their post-retirement financial needs. The company started in California, but the company has since branched out all over the world and has several offices in Europe. Gold IRAs are considered this firm's specialty, but the company also has a hand in silver, platinum, palladium and crypto IRAs as well, see our guide on the similarities between Bitcoin and gold here.
Regal Assets deals in gold bullion, standard and numismatic coins offering a full range of outstanding services. The company has been listed in more than a few reputable publications such as Forbes, SmartMoney, Huffington Post and others. The firm has also made the list of the 500 fastest growing companies in North America by the well-known MarketWatch Inc. Magazine.
The low initial starting minimum amount draws many investors. This amount is $5,000 for individuals and $10,000 for family investments. The firm mostly deals with precious metals, and all the plans allow clients to store their precious metals separately.
It is even possible to store your precious gold or other metals in Dubai or London storage facilities. This is often needed for citizens living in unstable countries where the government might try to steal or confiscate their gold.
- Lower initial startup minimum amounts of $5,000 for individuals and $10,000 for family investments
- A+ BBB ratings
- Segregated options for storage
- Premier business reputation
- Opportunity for clients to have one financial advisor
- Topnotch customer service record
- Specializes in precious metals
- Some advertising may be misleading
- This firm tends to give more attention to corporate clients
While all of the above ten gold IRA companies have unique pros and cons, two companies come out with higher marks on our top 10 list. Both investment options use a slightly higher initial investment amount to unlock the best prices and extra benefits. Here is the breakdown.
Number 1: Augusta Precious Metals
Augusta Precious Metals gets high marks for its unparalleled customer service record, easy start up process, outstanding educational materials and resources, high buyback guarantee service along with a friendly and knowledgeable IRA and precious metal expert team. This company also provides free IRA Kits that ship free to your door and offer reasonable prices overall.
Number 2: Birch Gold Group
We also like Birch Gold for its old-fashioned customer service, fantastic client reviews and simplistic set up process. Company representatives will complete most of the paperwork with you to ensure everything is correct and exactly how you believe it to be.
FAQS about gold IRAs
Why are so many financial providers leaning towards gold and other precious metal IRA company services today?
Global economies are in danger of complete collapse. Diversifying retirement income with precious metals, like gold, may help protect your current retirement savings.
Why are buy-back programs important when deciding on a gold IRA company?
You may end up wanting to liquify or sell your gold or other precious metal products including gold IRA plans. It is best to choose a company willing to offer higher prices for your gold should you sell.
What is the main difference between a traditional IRA and today's gold IRA options?
Traditional IRA plans were based only on paper assets. The newer gold IRA plans deal with owning physical gold, silver or other precious metal bars, coins and other products.
Can I use any gold or silver coins in an IRA investment plan?
No, this type of investment plan must include only gold and other precious metals that are IRS and/or U.S. Mint approved.
The evolution of Gold Production for the years to come
The history of gold dates back thousands of years; however, gold production has experienced several transformations throughout different eras. It first began as a small-scale activity involving the extraction of gold from rivers and streambeds, eventually evolving into large-scale industrialized operations with advanced technology and machinery.
According to the World Gold Council, gold production reached an all-time high of 3,500 metric tons with the majority of this output coming from just a few countries, including China, Australia, Russia, and the United States. It will continue to grow even more for 2024. Most of the gold has been found on earth, which is why the value of this rare precious metal will continue to grow. It is a must-have asset in your retirement portfolio.
Top Gold Producing Countries
China: The World's Largest Gold Producer
China has consistently been the world's largest gold producer for over a decade, accounting for approximately 11% of the total global production. The country has more than 2,000 gold mines, most of which are located in the provinces of Shandong, Henan, and Jiangxi. The Chinese government has implemented strict regulations on mining activities to minimize environmental damage and ensure sustainable practices are employed.
Australia: A Gold Mining Powerhouse
Australia ranks second in terms of gold production, contributing around 9% of the global output. The country's gold mining industry has seen significant growth in recent years due to technological advancements and increased investment. Major gold-producing regions include Western Australia, New South Wales, and Victoria, with the Super Pit mine in Kalgoorlie being one of the largest open-pit mines worldwide.
Russia: A Growing Force in Gold Production
With an impressive 8% contribution to global gold production, Russia is quickly emerging as a dominant player in the market. The majority of Russian gold mines are situated in the Far East region, Siberia, and the Urals. Polyus, Russia's largest gold producer, operates some of the world's most extensive mines, including Olimpiada and Blagodatnoye.
United States: Declining But Still Significant
While the United States has experienced a decline in gold production over the past few years, it still remains a crucial contributor, accounting for approximately 6% of the global output. Nevada is the leading gold-producing state, with the Carlin Trend region hosting numerous large-scale mining operations. Alaska and Colorado also have significant gold deposits and active mining sites.
Emerging Gold Producers
While the countries mentioned above dominate global gold production, several other nations are steadily emerging as significant contributors. Some of these countries include:
- Ghana: Known as Africa's second-largest gold producer, Ghana boasts rich gold reserves and continues to attract international investors.
- Canada: With vast untapped gold resources, Canada is expected to witness increased production levels in the coming years.
- Peru: As the largest gold producer in Latin America, Peru is home to several world-class mines.
- South Africa: Once a leading gold producer, South Africa's output has declined in recent years; however, the country still holds vast reserves and has the potential to regain its former status in the industry.
Will gold continue to retain its value in the future? A question you should ask yourself before opening a gold IRA.
While gold has proven to be a reliable investment throughout history, there are several factors that may impact its ability to retain value in the current economic climate. These factors include:
One key determinant of gold's value is interest rates. When interest rates are low, gold becomes a more attractive investment option because the opportunity cost of holding non-yielding assets like gold decreases. Conversely, higher interest rates can negatively impact gold's value as investors may be more inclined to seek higher-yielding investments.
Gold is often considered a safe haven during times of geopolitical turmoil. As tensions between nations escalate, investors may flock to gold as a means of preserving their wealth amidst market uncertainty. Therefore, an increase in global conflicts could potentially bolster gold's value.
US Dollar Strength
The price of gold is typically denominated in US dollars, making the two inversely correlated. A strong dollar can diminish gold's appeal as it becomes more expensive for foreign investors to acquire. Conversely, a weakening US dollar can enhance the attractiveness of gold as an investment option.
Recent advancements in financial technology have led to the creation of alternative investment options like cryptocurrencies. While these digital assets are still relatively new and volatile, they may pose a threat to gold's dominance as a store of value in the long run.
Assessing the Future Viability of Gold as an Investment
In light of these factors, how likely is it that gold will continue to retain its value? To answer this question, we'll explore both positive and negative factors impacting gold's outlook.
Gold has a low correlation with other major asset classes, which makes it an attractive option for investors seeking to diversify their portfolios. This characteristic will likely continue to make gold a go-to option for those looking to minimize risk in their investments.
As previously mentioned, gold has historically served as a hedge against inflation. With central banks around the world employing loose monetary policies, concerns about inflation have grown. As a result, gold's role as an inflation hedge may become even more prominent in the coming years.
Central Bank Reserves
Many central banks around the world hold gold as part of their foreign reserve assets. These institutions often view gold as a safe and stable asset, which further reinforces gold's value from a global perspective.
Global markets continue to experience significant volatility due to various factors such as geopolitical tensions, economic uncertainties, and the rise of cryptocurrencies. In times of heightened volatility, investors may turn to gold as a means of preserving wealth, thus supporting its value.
Challenges Facing Gold as an Investment
Despite the positive aspects mentioned above, there are also challenges that may hinder gold's ability to retain value in the future:
- Competition from alternative investments: As previously mentioned, the emergence of cryptocurrencies and other digital assets could potentially divert investor interest away from traditional stores of value like gold.
- Environmental concerns: Gold mining can have significant environmental impacts, leading to increasing scrutiny and potential regulatory action. This may affect gold production levels and subsequently influence its value.
- Opportunity cost: Investors must weigh the opportunity cost of holding non-yielding assets like gold against other investment options with potential for higher returns.
The benefits of adding gold to a retirement account to conclude
Gold is tangible and can be held. As we just saw, this metal has long been stable even when paper currencies decline in value, after governments topples and remained valuable through other financial related crises from a historic standpoint. Precious metals, like gold and silver, are used to protect retirement wealth and provide a hedge should inflation rise later.
While we don't recommend you invest 100% of your portfolio in one asset class, gold is definitely one you should have for all the reasons we just saw.